We offer a variety of stain colors and, for an additional charge, can even try to match an existing stain color in your home. We prefer to use Zar® wood stains because of their high quality and superior application, but we can also use other brands upon request. The color chart on the left shows current Zar® colors shaded either light or dark .
Click the on stain colors to the left for a larger image.
Here are some other options we offer with regard to the color and finish of our beds:
• unsanded, unstained (ready to prep and paint): available upon request
• lightly sanded, wood left in natural color: available on all models
• fully sanded and stained in any of our Zar® colors: available on all models
• custom stain color using a Minwax® or other stain brand (requires additional prep): $15 additional charge
• color matching to another stained item in your home: $20 additional charge (all we need for this is a sample of the stain color you want to match -- like a drawer from a night stand. We will get as close to the shade as the difference in wood types allows).
Tapered top rails (both front and back) come standard with our deluxe models (the Paul Bunyan and the Royal), but it is such a nice feature that we offer a tapered top front rail as an option on our economy beds as well. It only cost $10 to replace the straight front 3½" top rail of the Viking and Trimline bunks with the 5½" tapered top rail.
A tapered front rail adds several benefits. The first is appearance. The tapered ends make the bed look more finished. The second is the greatest benefit, it adds two more inches of a guard rail to the top bed. If you have concerns of the child rolling out of the top bunk, this option can give you more peace of mind. Those with older children don't always take this option, but it is popular with families with younger ones.
If you think you want to go with an extra long mattress (79" instead of the standard 74"), this option will accommodate the longer mattress. This is not a common option people take, as the extra-long mattresses do cost more, but if you expect your child to become very tall it may be something for you to consider as you're ordering your bed.
We offer our beds in standard heights that meet the needs of most families. However, we can also alter the height on most models to meet your specific requirements.
• Any of our beds can be lowered by certain amounts if you would just like a shorter bed.
• Our deluxe beds also offer alternate heights up to 68" at no additional charge (this same option is available on the Viking line for $10).
• Most models are also available in custom height options up to 73". This option is useful for loft beds intended to fit a desk underneath or where high ceilings allow for more head room for both bunks. The extra-height option includes not only the taller posts but also an extra rail in the back of the bed for added support. The Royal bed shown at left is 73".
A loft bed is basically a bunk bed without the bottom bed. This gives the room underneath for a desk, dresser, bean bag chair, or whatever else your imagination comes up with. If you only want a single bed but wish it were raised higher, this might suit your needs. You can also order our regular bunk bed for just $10 more and set it up initially as a loft bed (only one front bed rail board differentiates a full bunk bed from our loft bed). You can store the extra board in case you ever change your mind or come to need a second bed in the room. Just put the extra bed rail back in, add a bunk board, and you have a standard twin over twin bunk bed!
Our L-Shaped bunk set is actually two separate beds -- so the bottom bunk can be placed to the left, right, or center of the top bunk. This allows it to fit within difficult room dimensions or furniture configurations. An extra back brace is added to the 'loft' top bunk, and the bottom bunk is basically our standard single bed.
Drawers are priced at $249 (for a set of 2) for the Twin size (39” x 37” x 8” deep) and $299 for the Full size (39” x 54” x 8” deep) which gives about 40% more storage. The Full size must be paired with a full size bed or bigger on the bottom. If you purchase any bed extra long, the drawers can be made wider to fill up the space.
Picture at left is a Paul Bunyan twin bunk over a full bunk with Full size drawers.
Our Trundle bed option provides a slide-out mattress for any of our standard bunk or single beds. Here, the Viking model is shown with the trundle pulled out. Our trundles take a standard twin size mattress which actually saves you money. Regular trundle mattresses (which are slightly smaller than a twin) aren't as common, and can cost up to 50% more than twin mattresses.
At left (top) is shown a twin trundle on a Paul Bunyan "Full over Full” bunk bed stained in Mocha, and (bottom) a Paul Bunyan "Twin over Full" with trundle with White stain.
Our Trundle bed can have a drawer front added, which just hides the mattress from view when closed. The cost of the trundle bed with the drawer front is $155.
We now offer a shelf unit that can be added to the Paul Bunyan or Royal models. There is a basic version ($30) and a deluxe ($50). The deluxe is taller, has two shelves with the top one open in the back giving room for the cords of, charging units and such. The basic one is shorter with one open shelf on top, the same as the deluxe. Both have a "cubbie hole" area behind the mattress for extra storage (the kids love this secret storage area!) The bed also must have the extra long option added to make room for the shelf.
While we don't necessarily recommend it (see our questions page for more details), we can add a font-mounted ladder to any of our bunk beds. The cost is $95. Our ladders can be positioned on either the left or right side of the bed front.